Diatomaceous Earth

Kids eat dirt. At least mine used to, and I always let them. For several reasons. To help build their immune system, to allow them to fully explore their world in every way possible, (putting things in their mouth is a huge part of that and dirt was not going to hurt them) and to help build up their gut flora. (My children take a good probiotic for their gut flora now.)

Even though my kids have outgrown their dirt eating days, I have not. Yes, you read that right. I eat dirt. Every day. Three times a day, actually. Its a special dirt. I don’t just go outside and grab a spoon full from the garden and crunch down. Its called Diatomaceous Earth, or DE.  And its tasty too! Ok, no its not. It tastes like dust. But its easy to swallow and the benefits are wonderful, so I don’t mind. This is the brand we use.

Diatomaceous Earth:

DE is actually fossilized shells which are mostly made up of silica. Viewed through a microscope it looks like a round cylinder with lots of holes. It is extremely sharp. Our skin and organs are strong and thick enough so that we are completely unharmed by the sharp edges DE, but for all the parasites in our bodies, its another story. Silica is sooo important. Our bodies need silica.  Silica is the most important trace mineral for human health. It an important part of mineral absorption.
Due to our depleted soil, only about one-third of the silica needed by our body is supplied in our food. And you know what? 80% of all of our body’s silica is used up by the time we become adults. Yeah, I’m not ok with that!  Really, our bodies need silica no matter how old we are, but the older we get the more we need to supplement. Diatomaceous earth has a highly absorbable form of silica.
DE has been proven to:
– Re-mineralize and repair bones. Silica speeds up the healing of fractures and also diminishes the  scarring of a fracture.
– The body can turn silica into calcium when there is a calcium deficiency.
– Strengthens blood vessels, lowers cholesterol, and regulates blood pressure.
– supports and strengthens skin, hair, nails, teeth, and joints
–  promotes collagen production
– boosts the immune system
– cleanses the digestive tract by removing toxins (this is a big one)
– Diatomaceous earth can purge any parasite, virus, bacteria, or toxin that is clinging to our digestive tract with its extremely sharp edges.
– Toxins or bacteria in our digestive tract are absorbed and trapped by diatomaceous earth.
– As it sweeps out foreign matter, you will begin to notice better nutrient absorption and less fatigue.
– Helps prevent kidney stones
– Regulates bowel movements, lessens gastrointestinal inflammation, and treats both diarrhea and constipation. Helps sooth inflamed intestines.
– Treats head lice and fleas (make sure you don’t inhale the powder)
– Decreases vertigo, tinnitus, and insomnia
– helps heal leaky gut and food allergies
Before I go on I need to clarify: There are two types of DE—Food Grade and Pool Grade.

Food grade diatomaceous earth, is the only form safe for human consumption. Do Not consume any other form! Also be very careful not to inhale it. Ok, sorry for “yelling” but I needed to be very clear on that point!

Food grade DE is a very fine, soft powder and it mixes easily into liquids and foods. Start with a teaspoon a day and slowly work your way up. This is important! DE is a powerful detox-er and you don’t want to detox too quickly. Mix it into water, juice, or smoothies. Its best taken on an empty stomach, and I make sure to do that, but with kids its a bit harder, so I need to be sneakier. I started my kids off on 1/4 teaspoon and slowly worked them up to 1 teaspoon a day. I put it in their smoothies, or in a cup of applesauce and they can’t tell its in there, although I make sure to tell them. I feel its important to educate them on their health, and healthy choices.

Silica is water soluble. Once its in your body its easily absorbed by the intestinal wall and is also rapidly excreted. It does not accumulate in the body, so consistent daily supplementation is important. Its approved by the FDA, but you still might want to check with your doctor before use.

Its also a great bug killer! Fleas, ants, lice, bed bugs, cockroaches, ect. You can sprinkle it in your pets food or on their beds to rid them of pests. Be careful not to inhale it.

I worked myself up to 3 tablespoons, 3 times a day. Within a few weeks of taking it I noticed that my hair and nails were growing faster and stronger, and it has definitely helped with my intestinal issues and parasites. I also have more energy, and I feel it helps to raise my too-low blood pressure. I simply mix it with a glass of water and drink quickly. I find that warm water seems to help it go down easier, but that’s just my preference. Its really not that bad. Just… dusty…. Haha.

Please follow and like us:
http://www.vitalproteins.com/?acc=daa96d9681a21445772454cbddf0cac1